A few months ago I wrote a blog post largely about people to watch in the period following the end of the first post 9-11 decade. I recommend you check the post out again.
This is the second in a series of posts about the people who will play an important role in the second post 9/11 decade. In that post I mentioned some people who had almost made the first list. There were quite a few and some made this list while others did not and now I am adding some people to this list that are virtually unknowable from an American point of view as well as a few other names of also-rans. The sketches are longer in this post than the shortest sketches in the other as well. Partly because some people are less known and once having described them a bit it did not seem right to shorten everyone more famous on the list. Those who almost made this list include two invisible people whose names do not appear here and whose offices are more important than their persons for our immediate purposes. The most watchable in my view is the President of the Shanghai Foreign Language Education Press. This body produces high quality works for China and others in Chinese from foreign languages, textbooks and educational materials in perhaps twenty-three languages for the Chinese and quality translation into English and other major languages of important Chinese works. In my opinion it is the most important media outlet of any kind which is almost never mentioned in the Western media. While he is not the President perhaps current presidential information could be had from Professor Wang Tongfu, Shanghai Foreign Language Education Press. The next invisible person is the senior official in charge of diversion and concealment in the design of nuclear and military facilities in Iran.
In terms of true also-rans this time I had fewer although I still hope to get to the ones from the first list eventually: They were Drew Brees, Michael Phelps, Helio Castroneves, Ken Feinberg, Helene Baroness Heyman, Bob Gates, Cyril I Кирилл, Патриарх Московский и всея Руси, Sir Donald Tsang and Marco Rubio.
In that first of these related posts I used the theme of Gearing up for the future of America as a context for coming to know some prominent human beings playing a role on the world stage . I identified a group of people as very important Dramatis Personae:
President Barack Hussein Obama , Josef Ratzinger, His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI, Her Britannic Majesty, Elizabeth, HRH Charles Prince of Wales, David Cameron, Sarah Palin, George H. W. Bush, George W. Bush, Glen Beck, Hillary Clinton, President Nicolas Sarkozy, Benjamin Netanyahu, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Carl Svanberg, UN Secretary Ban Ki Moon, Hu Jin Tao, Timothy Geithner, Al Franken, Barney Frank, Vladimir Putin, Bobby Jindal, Bill Richardson, Bill Clinton and Osama Bin Laden .
This time I want to post fifteen more people to watch. They may not be the last batch before the September 11, 2011 decennial memorial.
1.Barons Rothschild: This one is sort of cheating. There is a Baron Rothschild in the British Aristocracy which is fully functional and existent and Jacob Baron Rothschild must be given top billing. There is a separate Austrian Baron Rothschild but the disestablishment in Austria must be factored in for things to be well understood there. There is a network of French Barons Rothschild supporters and a quite serious and prominent man of influence styled Simon Baron Rothschild who lives in New York. I am one person who believes we must aim for a larger and greater Israel and that there must be a Hebrew royalist portion of the new order. There are others who agree with me. In such an event an Israeli Baron Rothschild must be part of these visions of the future. The Rothschilds themselves have never endorsed this plan (nor, as far as I know, decried it).
2. Britney Spears: Ms. Spears is a dancer, singer , brand manager, sometimes a songwriter, a mother and an ex-wife. She is also a sort of political voice for the idea of a sexually explicit class or group of performers who are serious about not being antisocial. Avoiding uncontrolled drug abuse, staying with relatives, seeking to maintain discipline and other values have long been evident despite her many troubles. She is a person who could play a role in the emergence of a formal courtesan culture in the West even if she herself did not become one. I doubt that she would consider herself an intellectual revolutionary but she has played a role with social significance.
3. Carl A. Brasseaux Louisiana has been thrust into the public eye around the world again by the BP Oil Spill. One of the important cultures in the area is the Louisiana Acadian or Cajun people who are also part of a larger and more diverse Acadian ethnicity. There has never been a cessation of Acadian action on the world stage. Carl A Brasseaux is the preeminent Acadian historian of my lifetime and of recent centuries certainly. I have great respect for him and we have met and spoken about history. I have read much but not all his work much of which is listed in part below (these are authored works mostly, but he has extensive co-authored and edited works as well). This does not mean he endorses this blog. I have only a Master’s degree and have never published a book of history, so I fall far short of his standards in many ways. He on the other hand is a Brasseaux which is a middle chiefly clan, he is not from Bayou Lafourche or Vermilion Parish and has no close relatives who are recent members of La Maison de Le Roi. He is therefore cut off from most of the insights that inform me in these decayed times. There are five other historians who I rely on as much or more than he in technical terms for my model of recent centuries for our tribe, But none of them do what he does. As with the Queen’s Apology the effort made in this blog is unthinkable without Brasseaux although perhaps like the Queen of the United Kingdom he might not be able to endorse or verify its statements. Books he has written and edited include: The Founding of the New Acadia: The Beginnings of Acadian Life in Louisiana 1765-1803, Acadian to Cajun: Transformation of a People 1803- 1877, Selected Bibliography of Scholarly Literature on Colonial Louisiana and New France, The Road to Louisiana: The Saint-Domingue Refugees, 1792-1809, Scattered to the Wind: Dispersal and Wandering of the Acadians, 1755-1809 and Narrative Paintings: The Collection of Maurice Dedieu/Peintures Narratives.
6. Charles Bolden: The first man of visible African Negro ancestry to lead NASA at the very top-level he is a resident of Houston Texas most of the time and has been and remains an astronaut and Marine. Bolden was born Aug. 19, 1946 and is a native of Columbia, S.C. He graduated from C. A. Johnson High School in 1964 the year I was born and received an appointment to the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis. There he earned his B.S. in electrical science in 1968 and a commission as a second lieutenant in the Marine Corps. After completing flight training in 1970, he became a naval aviator. Bolden flew more than 100 combat missions in the Vietnam War and was stationed in Namphong, Thailand, from 1972-1973. Remaining in the Marine Corps after the war Bolden also earned a master of science degree in systems management from the University of Southern California in 1977. Following graduation from that degree he completed Naval Test Pilot School at Patuxent River, Md. in 1979. He was an active and successful test pilot until his selection as an astronaut candidate in 1980. He held many important positions in NASA and the astronaut corps although he did leave before returning and becoming Administrator .He had left on returning from his last space shuttle flight in 1994, returning to active duty as the Deputy Commandant of Midshipmen at the U.S. Naval Academy. Should social and constitutional change occur in the United States and should he be alive at the time, he is destined to play an important role in the integration of African-Americans and their heritage into a more rank based society.
7. Taylor Swift: Prolific young songwriter and very successful performer Taylor Alison Swift was born on December 13, 1989 in Reading, Pennsylvania. Not being a Southerner she nonetheless listened to and developed a love for country music, especially some classic female artists and their work. Performing from her preteen years around her hometown, at festivals, fairs and sang at karaoke contests. She got a guitar and started writing songs at the age of 12, and this was the same time she got her first guitar. At this writing she remains devoted to the family that helped her become the youngest songwriter signed to a publishing deal with Sony/ATV. She was one of the artists who helped launch a new and upcoming record label Big Machine Records. Debut album Taylor Swift came out at No. 3, but helped by My Space and the new media it had risen greatly instead of receding 39 weeks later and was on the top of the charts having sold over 2.5 million copies, earning the young star a Platinum album. Her career is not slowing and I think she will play an important role in defining sexuality and young womanhood in our coming decade. She is also very tall and that will cause her to look at different situations and concerns affecting life in the public eye and our evolving culture.
8.Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands: Queen Beatrix succeeded her mother as Queen of the Netherlands in 1980. From that date, Her Majesty formed part of the government. The Netherlands remains a very influential country and she remains a powerful influence in the community of royals in Europe especially. The Queen was married to Prince Claus. They had three sons: Prince Willem-Alexander, Prince Friso and Prince Constantijn. The eldest, Prince Willem-Alexander – the Prince of Orange – will succeed her.
9. Sir Richard Charles Nicholas Branson: Billing himself in almost all public venues as plain Richard Branson because of his ties in business to the American and French republics and his life’s history as the heir to the casual revolution around the world in the sixties he has been and continues to be a dynamic cultural force. The Green Fund and Virgin Galactic may not come to a hill of beans in the big picture. Like some other things on this post credit is given for effort. I even see Branson a bit more subdued and diminished in hope recently but he is still brash and energetic seeking a way forward in space and ecology. He was born in 1950 and educated at Stowe School. He created Student magazine there .In the early 1970s he created Virgin first as a mail order record retailer, and then with record shops starting with one in Oxford Street, London and a recording studio in Oxfordshire. Before 1980 came around Virgin Music one of the top six record companies in the world. He leads two hundred companies and has a considerable amount of vision. While he has other vulnerabilities his biggest is death. It is not clear how much influence his work will have if he dies anything other than a very old man.
10. Kate Middleton, Catherine Princess of Wales, Princess William of Wales, Princess Catherine: Her name title and form of address are likely to change a great deal over the next decade or so and not just when she gets married. She embodies a commitment by the British royal family to the British people. She is smart and pretty and discreet as it is possible to be (which I admit is almost not at all in her situation). She is devoted to her man. She dresses modestly enough to be respectable and revealingly enough to let the world see that her Prince has a woman who can do the very important wifely job of turning him on sexually. She is sweet and quiet in presentation and yet you can imagine a Knight who loved life wanting to seduce her in the days when this might have gotten his head rotting on a stake. She covers the bases and may turn out to be far more than that once her role is second nature. certainly a young woman of vast potential.
11. Prince Luís of Orléans-Braganza (born Luís Gastão Maria José Pio Miguel Gabriel Rafael Gonzaga de Orléans e Bragança e Wittelsbach on 6 June 1938) He has been styled as Prince and as His Imperial and Royal Highness throughout his life. This family has taken an activist view to the royalist cause and this claimant more than most. In Brazil he is widely recognized as one of the two claimants to the Brazilian throne and head of the Vassouras branch of the Brazilian Imperial House. He is the great-grandson of Emperor D. Pedro II . Prince Luís is a member of the Society for the Defense of Tradition, Family and Property a conservative Catholic organization which compared to my politics has been known as less favourable to enhancing Christian development of Aboriginal American and African-American cultural groups and for seeking to stop land reform. However, while I do not claim to influence him or his many groups I can honestly say that he has channels which have kept an open line to voices for diversity, neo-manorialism, American Guildism, Maritainist Royalist culture and other parts of the royalist movements in the hemisphere which are more liberal than perhaps his own positions. There has been little (if any) evidence of hidebound rigidity and he and his family work at the royalist cause hard and over time.
12. Ms. Gail J. McGovern is the Red Cross’s seventh president and chief executive since 2002, and she has more or less balanced the budget in a battered organization. The Red Cross tumbled with a $200 million deficit, and with penalties and fines related to its blood collection and distribution business it had other crises leading to low morale amid widespread staff cuts at the Washington headquarters. She left a position as a professor at Harvard Business School to lead this mess. She has stayed out of the spotlight except when doing expert and relevant things in dignified fora or running the large charity with a grand tradition. Gail J. Mc Govern, is a woman who like Sarah Palin seems to be really doing something to integrate the traditions of the distaff side with the values and leadership of a new feminist society. Unlike Palin she does not have to give her opinions on this subject or any other very often. McGovern was a senior executive at AT&T and Fidelity Investments.
13. Me I have worked in a number of public endeavors more or less continuously since I was four years old. However, I now feel that even if I die tomorrow my own mostly frustrated efforts will produce a few tangible and discernible ripples in the future which an astute person could discover and find significant. Of course because this is my blog I had a much easier time making the blog list than anyone else.
|14. His Highness Sheikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Al-Thani, Emir of the State of Qatar since June 26, 1995. He continues the Al-Thani dynasty that began nearly two centuries ago. Sheikh Hamad began serving as Minister of Defense when he was acclaimed Crown Prince in 1977. His extensive preparation for Kingship accelerated in the 1980’s when he led the Supreme Planning Council, and even more since 1992, when Sheik Hamad began selecting Qatar’s cabinet and became responsible for administering the country’s day-to-day affairs. He has also led the development of Qatar’s oil and natural gas resources. His country will spend this second post 9-11 decade preparing for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. Political, social, security and technological challenges will make it easier for the country to progress in many ways and to hold the attention of both the world as a whole and of its Persian Gulf and Arab neighbors everywhere.
15. Prince William of Wales: Prince William has a university degree, he did not graduate from Oxbridge, he has been to amusement parks and has held charity rock concerts, he knows how to behave in Church, he resents being left out of combat. He knows the maw of celebrity culture devouring his family as a personal memory. He will be formidable. Prince William is not Prince of Wales at this posting — his father still holds that distinction. He is a Prince of the Blood as Francophone people see things and a Prince is a Prince certainly. The story is not yet finished in all respects –although he would always be Sir William Knight of the Garter and is also an offficer with a commissioned rank before the family name of Wales, he is not Prince ”of anything”. He is rather William of Wales who happens to be Prince William. His dad can be styled Prince Charles of Wales but is able to move all the parts around to connect with the others in his identity and his son cannot. Thus in terms of snobbery (as I sit here in my running shorts watching tv alone I still dare to lecture as the superior snob to most) William is an odd creature. He is fully royal — a Prince of the Blood in the House of Windsor is well up near the top of that club which though vastly much less than one mil of all people is bigger than most people think. He is without reference to royal claims a member of the chivalry being a Knight of the Garter. Without needing to consider his royal or chivalrous claims he is a member of the gentry (in the sense which does not exclude higher ranks) or is a social gentleman as a holder of an officer’s commission. However, because he is not yet Prince “of” anything and does not seem to hold any titles from the aristocratic ranks such as Baron, Viscount, Marquess, Earl or Duke he is barely an aristocrat. Someone like me who has nothing much to lose in this big bad world can say he is royal, chivalrous and genteel in rank but not Aristocratic or Noble in the exclusive sense. His father was Prince of Wales and such a royal title is also aristocratic because of the “of-ness” but did not need such a title to be an aristocrat as he was (and is also still) Duke of Cornwall and Duke of Rothesay which are plumb aristocratic titles of the best type. I do not own Burke’s Peerage and I may be missing a title but I think not. Perhaps his grandmother will give him a noble title as a wedding present.