Since the Oil leak began and the Deep Water Horizon Rig sank at Macondo in the Gulf of Mexico off the Louisiana coast many things have happened. What I mean is that because of the oil spill we see a skipper committing suicide, pelicans dying, a response worker dying of complications and no end in sight. But there are other things that have happened too.
1. Since this mess started the UK elected the first Conservative or Liberal or non Labour coalition government in thirteen years.
2. Since this mess started the USA has won its group in the World Cup tournament for the first time in decades.
3. Since this mess started the longest men’s tennis match ever recorded has been played.
4. Since this mess started Louisiana’s own New Orleans Saints got their world championship rings with the fleur-de-lis on them.
5. Since this mess started LSU lost its chance for the College World Series which is still going on and is still great baseball.
6. Since this mess started the National Spelling Bee has seen hard competition and has produced a winner.
7. Since this mess started this year’s TONY awards were given out to the exceptional achievers on Broadway by the American Theater Wing.
8.Since this mess started numerous prominent and accomplished people have given speeches at their commencement exercises on college campuses.
9. Since this mess started the US Supreme COurt has issued several opinions which will affect the lives and government of many Americans.
10. Since this mess started the North Koreans and South Koreans have done many things which deserve much attention and can affect the Position of the US in the world.
11. Since this mess started several large budget feature films and clever independent films have come on and off of the screens in most communities in America.
12 Since this mess started the first tropical depression has formed in the Caribbean.
13.Since this mess started the world has kept on spinning.
I hope that Americans and others who know us and do not live on the Gulf Coast or in the lower Mississippi Valley they will be understanding if we who do live here are a bit off. I hope that they will understand if we are a bit out of touch with life and the things we used to take an interest in these days. It is hard to explain if you do not live here what it is like to have this mess going on and on and on and on and on. It sort of reminds you of hell on the discount plan or some slow and horrible wasting disease…. So we may not be up to date on everything else.