1. Yesterday was Veterans Day. It was Armistice day in the UK and much of the British Commonwealth. I did watch most of President Obama’s ceremony at Arlington although I had a hard time finding it at first.
2.Tomorrow is Friday the 13th. I am not going to plan much to observe that incidence but it is the fact and one many people will note — including me I suppose.
3. Tomorrow is my mother’s birthday. Give her a call if you know her.
4. My father, brother Simon, niece Alyse and brother’s fiancée Brooke have gone down to Mexico. They will be there through Thanksgiving. Most years we have a large Thanksgiving feast in the House there with different members of the family, missionaries and staff hosting the feast. I have only been to a few of these. My mother and brother Joseph will be joining them down there as well. I am not sure exactly what my own plans will be yet — although I have some ideas in mind. They will have a group of short-term missioners down with them as well and probably all of the family will be back here by December first or second.
5.The UK Parliament has ended or is ending its term and is gearing up for the State Opening. The Queen’s Speech and all the rituals are in advanced preparation I am sure. I wrote a little verse for the occasion:
High Ways of Robery: Acrostic Verse
How dear it does appear to appear a peer.
I presume it would seem queer to disappear,
“George, is Baroness Murphy not yet here?”
“Her ladyship found no kit or gear we hear.”
Worthies waiting for worthy wear wearies.
And every chevron must match the ranks
Yet a baroness may fear college dearies.
Students tripping lords as evil pranks.
Only few match the lined cap of maintenance
Fur is humble rabbit in stoat’s appearance.
Rarely our health scholarly Baroness wears
Our race’s white and spotted skins about.
Because too few serfs, traps and affairs
England has given her to remove doubt.
Ravenscroft and Ede must live as well.
Yes, the Opening by robes all can tell.
For the context: http://lordsoftheblog.net/2009/11/10/in-the-red/
6. I did a good number of things with my niece Anika and nephew Soren yesterday. We had a n enjoyable visit and then I went to see the film Amelia. I enjoyed and recommend it. When I got back however there were chores to attend to and my foot which gives me trouble from time to time was in full blazing pain and I overlooked the Country Music Awards which I otherwise would have watched until it was simply too late. I hope to catch some “re-runs” on CMT but it is not the same of course.
7.The weather is beautiful here lately but I am not doing all that well in terms of enjoying it because of nagging health problems that have chosen this time to flare up. Ah well …. Life is seldom a perfect paradise here on planet Earth.
8.The New Orleans Saints are still undefeated. The Ragin’ Cajuns are not completely out of the bowl picture and the LSU Tigers are still ranked.
9. Healthcare legislation still dominates the picture in congressional discussion, media coverage and debate.
That concludes this Thursday’s round-up. I will hope to be around before next Thursday in my other kinds of posts and to round things up next Thursday.